Just when I thought I’ve got my Abah all figured out, he does something totally unexpected...
On Mother’s Day, we went out to dinner, the whole family, in Jusco Setiawangsa.
After dinner we took a walk at the fountain area, sang to Mama and took photos and presented her the gifts that we’ve bought.
All said & done, suddenly Abah called everyone to huddle together, and we sorta squatted/ sat on the ground. Everyone peeled their ears to hear what Abah has to say (even Umar!)
Abah: Ok listen up everyone, I’ve got something to say.
(Abah faced Hafidz, dengan muka yang amat serius)
Abah: Look, how long have you known Sheemi?
Hafidz: (muka cuak. sheemi's jantung berdegup kencang) Umm, since 2005...if nak kira start kenal as friends.
Abah: And that’s roughly around the time we all kenal u too, right?
Hafidz: (muka semakin cuak dan mula berpeluh di dahi) Ummm, yes.
Abah: Well, what I want to say is that I’m happy that you’ve blended in very well with us. You joined this family and fit just right in. I asked the rest of the family, and they too, have accepted you well.
(long pause, looked down and then looked up again).
All I can say is, I salute you.
(Hafidz tergamam. Sheemi’s jaw dropped and flies would have flown in if there were any at the time)
Abah: See, I’m the type who’s very possessive. For me to have someone come and take my daughter away, was something unthinkable. I thought it will be very hard to have someone else take care of my only daughter. But I’m glad the person is you, because you’ve made her very happy. If she’s happy, I’m happy. And I really salute the way you take care of Sheemi & Umar, I see your commitment and discipline.
You are the best son-in-law I’ve ever had, but then again you will be the only son-in-law ...hahaha.. but yea well you get my point la (at this point everyone broke into laughter and Hafidz looked less cuak)
So, I’ve got something for you, as my token of appreciation..it’s not much, but I want you to have this (Abah reached into his bag and pulled out a small box and handed it to Hafidz)
(At this point mata Hafidz berkaca and Sheemi’s jaw dropped to the ground)
Hafidz: Thank..thank you Abah.. (tangan menggigil bukak kotak. Abah had to assist)
Inside the box was a leather strap watch. Sangat stylo ok! Terer gak Abah & Mama kept this a secret...I totally did not expect this...huhuhu.
And so we all clapped and laughed and Hafidz gave Abah a big hug.
(Sheemi almost broke into tears tapi cuba mengawal emosi.)
Then we parted ways because we came in separate cars.
When we reached home, Hafidz headed straight to the bath (as it was a very humid night) and Abah called me into his room.
Abah: So...
Sheemi: So...
Abah: Yea, well..ahem..I wanted to do that. I’ve been observing him and like I said just now la, I really salute him. The way he takes care of you and Umar, can see that he’s very committed & disciplined.
And most importantly, from what I observe, it takes someone really sincere to do all the things he does, to treat you the way he does.
You can’t fake that. And I can tell if a person is being a fake. He’s not here to try and be someone he’s not, he’s not trying to impress us. He is sincere. That is who he is.
I hope and pray that you guys will be happy always and treat each other well.
Sheemi: (speechless but managed a feeble “mmm”)
Abah: Ok, so tu je lah.
As I stood up to exit, Abah looked at me and said, “You’re lucky”
And as I entered my room in a daze, I see my husband on the prayer mat and my son sleeping peacefully in the cot, and I thought to myself,
“I am. I so am. Syukur Alhamdulillah”
This entry is dedicated to our parents, who taught us to love and laugh.
Thank you for making us who we are today.
.

7 comments:
Salam Sheemi,
Tak ramai bapa mertua yang boleh berterus terang macam tu.
Ayah pun mungkin tak boleh, tetapi kami mungkin boleh menunjukkan "our sign of approval to our son or daughter-in-laws in other ways."
Ayah apabila baca N3 ini pun sedikit terharu... dan bangga pun ada.....uhukk
Apapun sebagai ibu/bapa kami hanya boleh mendidik, memberi tunjuk ajar dan menunjuk contoh yang baik.
Akhirnya, terserah kepada diri anak itu sendiri untuk menghayati dan mempraktikkannya dengan sebaiknya.
Untuk menjadi pasangan yang baik kedua2 pihak perlu memainkan peranan masing2 dengan baik.
Seperti nasihat orang tua2, wanita/lelaki yang baik adalah pasangan untuk lelaki/wanita yang baik juga. Wallahua'lam.
i've told you before but i'm going to said it again...you are very lucky to have him (hafidz yg matang...hehehe) as your husband...i'm so happy for you :)
speechless...
Ayah: Thank you for your words of wisdom :)
And actually Abah pun not really the type to be so berterus-terang. That's why i was so shocked..and touched. Nampaknya Hafidz berjaya mencuri hati Abah (which is not an easy feat!) Hehehe..
Azilah: Thank you. I'm lucky to have a great sis-in-law like you :)
Bidin: Hehe.. Kelu tak terkata.
Well, yeah i was there right and damn i was touched ..
even i almost burst okayh!
u'r lucky like abah said..
sangat2 lucky..
for abah to say something like that mesti cam agak susah la wehh..
but he did..
hahaha..
but every words from abah tu is wat i would like say to abg epit as well..
he's not like the any 'others'..
he doesn't only take care of u.. but, i dunno about rick or abang.. but i feel he take cares of me too.. in some ways.. huhuhu
happy always kak.. *uhuk*
hahah :P
this update is so touching n berkaca... huhu...
as for me, you guys were mfeo...
go figure. :)
Ben: thanks. that means a lot, coming from you. i'm sure abang & rick feel the same way u do. all u 'we-show-no-emotions' tough guys in the house, tapi semua hati kaca..hahahaa :p xoxo
Alan: huhu. now u know where i get my drama-ness from. the original Johny Drama yo.. lol! and thank u. to be accepted by u and the rest of the wonderful Zed familia, is truly an honor.
p/s - teringat zaman sekolah. mfeo by kavana. siap gantung poster dalam bilik kay. hahaa.
Post a Comment